Saturday, May 9, 2015

London Calling: How 18 Montanans Will become Acoustically Ready for the United Kingdom


I gave my brother, Todd, a simple task: Give me ten songs to get me and my students ready for our trip to London. Todd is an Anglophile AND a musician, so he sent a quick text back. He approached the problem from two angles. First, what are some outside the box songs I am unlikely to have heard. Second, what is a good sampling of English/British music across eras. Here's what he recommended:

Muse: Knights of Cydonia

The Kinks: Strangers

The Streets: Turn the Page

The Who: Baba O'Riley

Cock Sparrer: Riot Squad

Electric Light Orchestra: Mr. Blue Sky

George Harrison: What is Life

The Beatles: Paperback Writer

Chumbawumba: I Get Knocked Down

Blur: The Universal

I also added The Clash (London Calling), Frankie Goes to Hollywood (Two Tribes), and The Smiths (Panic).

But, we are also going to Scotland and Belfast. So, after doing some additional research and consulting via phone with Todd, I added the following:


For Scotland

The Proclaimers: I would Walk 500 Miles

Big Country: In a Big Country

Simple Minds: The American

Belle and Sebastian: The Party Line

Average White Band: Pick Up the Pieces

Oasis: Wonderwall

The Jesus and Mary Chain: Just Like Honey

For Belfast/Northern Ireland

Van Morrison: Brown Eyed Girl

Simple Minds: Belfast Child

U2: Sunday Bloody Sunday

Ash: Kung Fu

Load up your I-Phone and let's rock out! We are leaving in just over a week.

#UKORBUST






No comments:

Post a Comment